Frequently Asked Questions
My name is not correctly encoded in the eWiz student Management System (eWiz SMS). How and where will I request for the correction of my name?
Post by: Jerwin M. Lasin | 8/15/2013 9:57:31 AM
Please visit the Records Custodian, Office of the College Registrar at the Records Section-Door 2 for evaluation and clarification. Appropriate updating in the system will be made upon presentation of required documents.